Diaper line

Diaper line

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fitted

I have been meaning to do this post for a while because fitted diapers are very similar to the prefold/flats system. I have never really understood the fitted diapers though. To me they always came across as a glorified prefold diaper, but more expensive. They come in all these super cute prints, but require a cover so you don’t get to enjoy the prints. But the more research I do on fitted diapers, the more I am starting to understand them and why people use them.

I suppose I should start off by telling you what a fitted diaper is. These are diapers that are cut to fit like a disposable diaper, have a velcro or snap closure and require some form of a cover – PUL, wool or fleece. They are made of several layers of fabric that can include things like bamboo, hemp, cotton, terry, ect. They are a diaper within a diaper and are super absorbent because of that. They usually run in price from $15 to $30 and some even go for more! (but those people are crazy for paying so much money for something their child will poop in!). They also can come in One Size or sized (s,m,l) like other diapers.



Some pros of Fitted diapers:
-          easy closure, no need to be pinned or snappied
-           trimmer than most cloth diapers
-           Does not take up a lot of space when storing
-          No stuffing required
-          Super absorbent, most people use them for nighttime solutions
-          Come in any pattern imaginable – cute!



Some cons of fitted diapers:
-          require a cover of some kind
-          not as convenient as other diaper types, like AIO.
-          Can take a long time to dry
-          Has two pieces to put on a wiggly baby instead of just one
-          Not all covers will fit well on them because of different makes
-          More expensive

A mama, in a facebook group I am in, asked the question about fitted that I had always been wondering too. WHY?
“Talk to me about FITTEDS.... I just don't get them.... It never fails. 9 out of 10 super cute girly prints I find are fitteds... don't you have to use a cover "to be safe"? If so, why buy a cute print, if you're just going to cover it up... I just don't get it... I guess”

Here are some of the responses she got:
- “One word....bulletproof. With a cover or wool we never have leaks. No matter what kind of ai2 or pocket we have tried after a bit they wick. A fitted for us just holds way better......And for the record a prefold just won't cut it either”
- “Yes fitteds will hold most anything with a cover over. The cute prints are more for me when they are walking. At home we can go coverless in a cute fitted after they are walking. I really love bamboo terry so lots of my fitteds are plain ole terry cause I like the feel of it.”
- “I love fitteds. I just buy cute covers too”

After reading these it made me understand fitted diapers a bit more and even more curious to try them out.
Many of the work-at-home-moms (WAHM) who do diapers make fitted diapers because they are the easiest ones to make, just cut the fabrics and sew together. AI2 and hidden PUL diapers are more difficult to make and have more to them. Because of this you can find them all over the place. I have a hard time telling them apart from “regular” diapers because they look just a like. I have a mama friend who has a business called Bumstoppers and she is currently making me some diapers to try out. She makes fitted and Ai2 style diapers. Check out her facebook page  - Bumstoppers

Ill leave you with some pictures of cutie babies in some fitted diapers


Bumstopper NB Fitted w/out a cover

Another Bumstopper NB fitted (w/out a cover)



This one shows a fitted that is going under a cover. All color coordinated!




No comments:

Post a Comment